» Buyers Guide » Small Convertibles
Small convertibles or compact convertible cars are becoming increasingly popular. Busy city streets and high fuel costs have caused an explosion in the market for small cars. The best small convertible cars combine practicality with fun, after all just because a car is small doesn’t mean it has to be boring.
The Peugeot 206 CC was the first small hardtop convertible. It went to the top of the sales charts and started a wave of similar cars. The convenience and security of a hardtop along with the fun wind in the hair experience of a soft top brought a new level of luxury to the small convertible sector.
Today there’s plenty of small convertible cars to choose from; tiny city cars line the Smart Fortwo to the larger Audi A3 Cabriolet and BMW 1 Series Convertible. Some very practical every day cars with an injection of fun. Just don’t expect lots of interior space.
Select from these small convertibles for more information:
- Acrea Zest
- Citroen C1 Airscape
- Citroen DS3 Cabrio
- Fiat 500C
- Fiat 500C Abarth
- Mini Convertible
- Mini John Cooper Works Convertible
- Mini John Cooper Works Roadster
- Mini Roadster
- Morgan 3 Wheeler
- Norster 600R
- Peugeot 108 Top
- Vauxhall/Opel Adam Rocks Air
- Volkswagen Beetle Cabriolet
- Volkswagen Golf Cabriolet
- Aixam Scouty R (2000-2013)
- Audi A3 Cabriolet 8P (2008-2013)
- Citroen C3 Pluriel (2003-2010)
- Daihatsu Copen (2004-2012)
- Ford Streetka (2003-2006)
- Mini Convertible (2004-2008)
- Mitsubishi Colt CZC (2006-2009)
- Nissan Micra C+C (2005-2009)
- Peugeot 206 CC (2001-2007)
- Renault Wind (2010-2013)
- San Storm (1998-2013)
- Smart fortwo BRABUS cabrio (2007-2014)
- Smart fortwo cabrio (2007-2014)
- Smart Roadster (2003-2007)
- Vauxhall/Opel Tigra Twintop (2004-2009)
- Volkswagen Beetle Cabriolet (2003-2011)
- Volkswagen Golf Cabriolet R (2013-2015)
The Toyota Aygo small city car gets a convertible option in the form of the X-Wave power operated canvas roof. It also benefits from 5 doors despite its diminutive size and the interior is modern and surprisingly roomy for one so small.
A stunning Mini roadster concept is to be shown at the prestigious 2014 Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este event. The design created by a collaboration of MINI and Touring Superleggera combines classic sports car looks with modern details.
The Citroën DS3 Cabriolet has been updated with slick new lights and a pair of energy efficient diesel engines. When we reviewed the Citroën DS3 Cabriolet last year we found it an a fun and thoroughly modern car.