» Buyers Guide » Four-Wheel-Drive Convertibles
The number of four wheel drive convertibles available is quite surprising. The breakdown is mostly related to Volkswagen Group’s commitment to the technology with its use in their Audi, Bentley, Bugatti and Lamborghini cars. The number of convertible cars that are true off-roaders is considerably smaller. While Jeep vehicles traditionally had minimal bodywork and no roof their current line of SUVs are more civilised and only the Wrangler 4×4 has a convertible top.
The first four-wheel-drive system was patented by English engineer Bramah Diplock in 1893 for use on traction engines and the technology was developed for a convertible car in 1900 by Lohner-Porsche. This was also the world’s first hybrid powered car. The first four-wheel-drive car with an internal combustion engine (again a convertible) was the Spyker 60HP was unveiled in 1903.
In the 1980s the AMC Eagle range included the first convertible car to the FF (Formula Ferguson) system of full-time all-wheel-drive (Jensen did not build a convertible version of their Interceptor FF). Although a clever design the AMC Eagle Convertible had a limited market and only lasted two years production.
Select from these four-wheel-drive convertibles for more information:
- Audi A5 Cabriolet 2.0 TFSI Quattro
- Audi A5 Cabriolet 3.0 TDI quattro
- Audi R8 Spyder V10
- Audi RS5 Cabriolet
- Audi S5 Cabriolet
- Audi TT Roadster 2.0 TDI quattro
- Audi TT RS Roadster
- Bentley Continental GTC V8
- Bentley Continental GTC V8 S
- Bentley Continental GTC W12
- Bentley Supersports Convertible
- Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport
- Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse
- Jeep Wrangler 2.8 CRD
- Jeep Wrangler 3.6
- Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2.8 CRD
- Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6
- Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 Roadster
- Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet
- Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet
- Porsche 918 Spyder
- Audi A4 Cabriolet 3.0 TDI quattro (2001-2009)
- Audi A4 Cabriolet 3.2 FSI quattro (2001-2009)
- Audi A5 Cabriolet 3.2 FSI Quattro (2009-2011)
- Audi RS4 Cabriolet (2006-2009)
- Audi S4 Cabriolet (2004-2009)
- Audi TT Roadster 3.2 V6 quattro (2007-2009)
- Audi TT Roadster mk1 1.8T quattro (1999-2006)
- Audi TT Roadster mk1 3.2 quattro (1999-2006)
- Bentley Continental GTC mk1 (2006-2010)
- Bentley Continental GTC mk1 Speed (2009-2010)
- Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder (2006-2014)
- Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Spyder Performante (2012-2014)
- Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 Roadster (2009-2010)
- Lamborghini Reventón Roadster (2010)
- Land Rover Defender SVX (2009)
- Mercedes G-Class Cabriolet (1979-2013)
A stunning Mini roadster concept is to be shown at the prestigious 2014 Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este event. The design created by a collaboration of MINI and Touring Superleggera combines classic sports car looks with modern details.
The Citroën DS3 Cabriolet has been updated with slick new lights and a pair of energy efficient diesel engines. When we reviewed the Citroën DS3 Cabriolet last year we found it an a fun and thoroughly modern car.
Volkswagen always send an unusual concept car or two to the Wörthersee Treffen annual festival. The event is a homage to the brand’s products and thousands of usually heavily modified cars attend.
Buyer's Guide to Four-Wheel-Drive Convertibles
The Convertible Car Magazine Buyer's Guide is a reference for all production convertibles currently available. Here we look at the best Four-Wheel-Drive Convertibles on the market.